procedure of the experiment turned out to be really exciting and remarkable,
although a few improvements can be made. The extraction procedure using
chloroform proved to be highly efficient. Based on this experiment, the amount
of caffeine in each tea was successfully extracted and most caffeine was found
in the black tea, while the least was found in chamomile tea. Hypothesis made
before in the experiment was revealed to be both true and false. I managed to
get different amounts for each type of tea and, when I compared it to the
theoretical masses, there was no difference. Furthermore, my speculation about
fruit tea turned out to be true.
Due to the
fact that error was not of great amount, it can be concluded that the extraction
procedure done was good and that every step was cautiously approached.
the type of tea is not the only factor that influences the amount of caffeine
which will be obtained in the end of the experiment. Despite the type of tea,
brewing methods and styles have a large impact on the caffeine level in tea.
Using a higher temperature, longer brewing time or higher ratio of tea levels
to water will increase the amount of caffeine. In addition, using tea bags
instead of tea leaves can also influence the result obtained. In this
experiment, temperature of 100°C was used
for brewing each tea. However, for each
tea there is specific amount of temperature which would be the best for the
specific type of tea to be brewed in. For example, the proper brewing
temperature for green tea is between 70 – 80°C, while for black tea it is 99°C.
All teas were put in the same temperature because it was the boiling point of
water, since the temperature is also one of the factors that affect the outcome
of experiment. Nevertheless, putting the specific temperature for each tea
could have resulted into getting different and more precise outcomes.