The main goal of our experiment was to verify that your activity series of metals was correct with our experiments. In order to accomplish our goal, we combined each metal: Fe, Cu, Mg, Zn with the solutions: Zn(NO3)2, Cu(SO4), Fe(SO4), and MgCl2 and observed any reactions that occurred.
Before we started our experiment, we hypothesized that if a reaction had occurred, then a single replacement reaction had taken place and the metal was more reactive than the metal in the solution there for replacing the metal in the solution. For example if Mg reacted with Zn(NO3)2, that meant Mg would have replaced Zn. In our experiment, we actually found that there was an error in your textbook’s activity series and that your metals were arranged in a different order. We found that Magnesium, since it had the most reactions, replaced all of the metals in the solutions, thus making it the most reactive out of all the other metals. The next most reactive element was Zinc. Single replacement reactions occurred with both Iron and Copper, but not with Magnesium. Since no reaction occurred with Magnesium, we were able to confirm that Zinc was the second most reactive out of the list of elements we tested. The least reactive elements were Copper and Iron, since they didn’t react with any of the other solutions. One interesting pattern we noticed with our
On the other hand, our results may not be 100% accurate. There were many possible errors that could have and did occur during our experimental process. However, this does not mean that it affected our data greatly. While we were making observations, although some reactions may have occurred, it was extremely hard to see. Another notable room for error was that while some reactions resulted in obvious color changes and gas formations, other reactions resulted in very minute color changes and very tiny bubbles. This could have been because of the fact that we didn’t have enough solution to react with the metal or vice versa.